Both because of and besides the controversies and heated debate happening on FetLife right now I am starting to feel it is more and more of a bad idea to use only one site (owned by one person) to hold the majority of information about kink and sexual education events online.
In truth, as of now I get almost all my information about what’s going on in NYC and the outlying area from FetLife and that’s a bad idea for a variety of reasons.
First of all, those who are new to kink, new to alternative sexuality, poly, what have you, need to be on FetLife to find out about things. Since it isn’t searchable outside of itself (or really even inside of itself) there is little chance anyone who doesn’t know about FetLife to find out about events.
Second, if you disagree with FetLife’s TOU your only real options are to either get over it or to not be privy to what going on in kink. Many of us are working to change some of the things that are broken in FetLife (i.e. Prop 429) but since this isn’t a community run site our suggestions are just that, suggestions.
Third, FetLife’s staff has been editing posts more and more. It’s their site, it’s their rules, and besides screen shots and shouting we really don’t have any recourse if our posts/events/journal entries are deleted, edited, or what have you. In a lot of ways this trend of editing is far more worrisome than deletion because it can take context out of statements, go unnoticed, cause confusion when linked to, etc.
Forth, if anything ever happens to FetLife we will all be screwed (or not screwed as the case may be) until something else comes along. @johnbaku could decide it’s too much pressure and too much stress and just take his ball and go home. Someone could get sued. Someone could spill coffee on a server.
Fifth, competition really does fuel improvement. Right now there is little reason for FetLife to change anything. People aren’t going any where. Advertisers aren’t going anywhere.
Sixth, we are compiling a vast amount of information on a site that is non-cacheable, non-searchable, as very low accessibility, and very low security. That’s a bad idea.
So, thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Links?
Personally I’d like a reasonably transparent, scalable, non-binary oriented, kink/sex ed/sex positive, open, and free place to post events and have a simple forum for discussion. Any ideas on how we make that happen?
Crossposted to FetLife
- sinshine likes this
- quantumsatis likes this
- cabbagepatchqueer likes this
- heathendefiler reblogged this from writingdirty
- tempusfidget likes this
- molly-ren reblogged this from maymay and added:
- gnomees reblogged this from oliverhyde
- fineshrinetome reblogged this from oliverhyde
- fineshrinetome likes this
- oliverhyde reblogged this from subtlecluster
- eveamedeus reblogged this from maymay
- andariel-sirene likes this
- maymay reblogged this from writingdirty and added:
- heathentacos reblogged this from mamabirdmargaritas and added:
- heathentacos likes this
- oliverhyde likes this
- littlefoxxx likes this
- rollinswrites reblogged this from clitorisesandsnorlaxes and added:
- consideredcurious likes this
- retrogradewaters likes this
- mamabirdmargaritas reblogged this from subtlecluster and added:
- paintchipsfromthewall likes this
- subtlecluster reblogged this from writingdirty and added:
- literateperversions reblogged this from writingdirty
- tenthousandunicorns reblogged this from writingdirty
- mindofmisslyss likes this
- rollinswrites likes this
- thedisreputabledog likes this
- ineffableshe likes this
- clitorisesandsnorlaxes reblogged this from writingdirty and added:
- clitorisesandsnorlaxes likes this
- erotiterrorist reblogged this from writingdirty
- thecontrolenthusiast likes this
- fascinantechosedenouveau likes this
- queerlykinked reblogged this from writingdirty
- atheologist likes this
- queerly likes this
- wordsandturds likes this
- writingdirty posted this
Get my eBooks at books.writingdirty.com
Subscribe via RSS.